Monday, July 19, 2010

Sometimes, I think too much

When I went on vacation last week, there were a couple of things I wanted to do – see my friend, have fun and take in the scenes and events.


I think I pretty much accomplished that. But in taking in the events and reading all the brochures I received from down South, I got to thinking if the Southern events would work here as add to what we already have.

Well, if we could all work together, they could.

Throughout the area, starting with our town, we have two 5-K Runs, the Antique, Art and Craft Show, the Bridge Bust, Fourth Fridays, activities for Memorial Day and July 4th. Across the pond (Susquehanna), they have Heritage Day and River Fest and the long running Stay at Home Fourth. North of the mountains (Chickies), there is Marietta Day, their July 4th carnival and both areas have Memorial Day Parades.

But when I was down South, there were a couple of events I attended such as the Marketplace and Peach Festival. There were other events coming up or previously held and I thought what the heck, I’m gonna throw them out there and see what the thoughts are.

The Marketplace was an event similar to our craft show, but the focus of this once a month event is farm produce and community groups. There were some craft stands, but not many and it closed off a few streets. Looked like a good event tat could work here, if it were limited to farm produce and community groups.

The Peach Festival is a lot like the Washington Boro Tomato Festival and was very well attended. So, we already have something like that.

One event I didn’t get to because of the weather was Hartsville Idol. It rained that night and the event was pushed back a week. That could work here, teamed with something like the car show or craft fair.

They had a Bluegrass Festival in May, along with a ton of other events throughout the year, but they didn’t do anything in Hartsville for Memorial Day.

There’s a lot going on in our area now and I think a couple of new events added to what we have could work. Sorry when I get to thinking, the ideas just keep coming.

These are just suggestions and nothing more. I’d be willing to share the various brochures and talk to people, but if we could all work together and promote the area, good things could happen.

No comments: