Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Best wishes Jeff

One of the first things I usually do each day either before or after my trip in town is to check various websites. Not in any order, but its usually the two York newspapers, CNNSI, philly.com, USA Today and the View from the Pressbox written by Jeff Reinhart.
In about three or four years, Reinhart's blog had become the voice of the Lancaster-Lebanon League with as of today more than 1.3 million hits. His coverage of football and girls' basketball was second to none in the state.
Well, today that voice for the athletes, fans and coaches of the L-L League was shutdown. Reinhart's job as an online sports writer was eliminated this morning. I thought something was up this afternoon when I read something out of the usual on his Facebook page and when I got to see him tonight at the Timbers, he told me.
In fact, he told the entire football fraternity in the league tonight and was greeted with a worthy standing ovation.
Jeff was one of the good guys in sports writing, who cared about the teams and individuals he wrote about and will be missed. And, I enjoyed sharing information with him almost on a weekly basis, if not daily during the various seasons.
I've been fortunate in my many years to know and work with all the Lancaster Newspaper sportswriters, present and past and Jeff was right up there with all of them and I can probably go back pretty far too, but won't in the risk of missing someone.
I wish Jeff the best because it is a big loss to the L-L League.
Good luck.

2 comments:

Chris McCarthy said...

Well written post Barry. I had the privilege of getting to know Jeff as well through sportswriting. He is one of the best, most dedicated writers I ever met and it is indeed a huge loss to the L-L League to lose his voice. Best of luck Jeff. A person with your level of talent will no doubt land on his feet.

Dave Porter said...

BUMMER