Thursday, December 9, 2010

From the Market House weekly newsletter

This was in the Columbia Market House manager's weekly newsletter:
At the end of 1995 the last Calvin and Hobbes comic strip appeared in American newspapers. Creator Bill Watterson informed the newspapers of his decision to discontinue Calvin and Hobbes with these words: “I will be stopping Calvin and Hobbes at the end of the year. This was not a recent or an easy decision, and I leave with some sadness. My interests have shifted however, and I believe I've done what I can do within the constraints ... . I am eager to work at a more thoughtful pace, with fewer artistic compromises. I have not yet
decided on future projects, but my relationship with Universal Press Syndicate will continue.”
At the end of this year, I will be leaving the post of market manager at the Columbia Market House. I am thankful for the the many extraordinary people who have supported the efforts we expended on behalf of this community treasure.
My “future projects” are undecided, too; I hope my relationship with those who champion advancement for all Columbia’s citizens, rather than special interest factions, will continue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sad to see you go. Much disappointment. wish you luck and hope to see you prosper with what ever you take on.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Brion. I commend you for doing your best at the market house. If you can't make it a success it not going to work. I know you worked hard and used some of your own money. Thank you and good luck.

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe now that Brian has resigned, given the bad economy and all, the best thing would be to cut the rents in half and just let Borough Hall manage the Market. Norm can keep an eye on the place and he might as well keep the overhead down and offer the tenants a break over the winter, to keep things going. If the rents are cut in half, maybe more vendors will come in. Make it a postive kind of thing and find some new vendors. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

To post 8;05, the rents are extremely reasonable and having Micro management from Norm or any boro employee would be a complete mess..as the pass speaks for itself. I disagree with you. I think their electric should be included though and option for one Saturday a month to be open to those who works during the week.
I agree with the above. Brian did and excellant job and wish him the best with his future ideas. we wil miss him greatly.

Anonymous said...

To post 3:41, I agree that Brian did an excellent job and I too wish him well. Although, my opinion is that electric should NOT be included in the rent, because Electric is TOO expensive to be giving away with no strings attached. Although, i think the rents should immeadiatly be cut in half but just for January, Feburary and March to keep tenants motivated and to attract new tenants. And Saturdays should be all or non, either open every Saturday or don't, no one will remember the one a month thing.

Anonymous said...

and what is the problem with a boro employee micro managing the market ? the rules are pre- set, so what does it matter if someone enforces the rules ??