Friday, June 17, 2011

I spoke and will continue

This is mild compared to some areas in town.
As many of you know I am on the Democratic ballot for a four-year term on borough council. I figure after more than 25 years of covering meetings and getting around town, I could continue to help our town prosper in another way.
I've seen a lot at the hundreds of meetings I've covered not only here in Columbia, but others areas as well. While over the next few months, I will tell you what I am about, post some ideas, disagree with things, I will work hard for ALL 10,000-PLUS residents of our town. If its not good for all people, I will vote against it.
So with that in mind, I addressed our current council on a number of issues on Monday night. Please don't be afraid to contact me or talk with me about your concerns for Columbia and its future.
My questions to the council on Monday were:
* The lack of a deadline for the job application for Columbia's vacant police chief position.
Was told, it was open ended so that council cold find the best person and also i n case there any changes in terms of a much talked about regionalization.
* Why Columbia has no full time officer on the Lancaster County Drug Task Force.
Was told the full time officer is back with the Columbia department and will work part-time with the DTF and a second officer will be added on a part-time basis as well.
* Weeds and grass growing out of the sidewalks and streets all over town (pictured).
Was told that notices were placed on sewer bills about it and if weeds were higher than six inches, the borough would take action.
* Out of town landlords buying up single family dwellings in Columbia and possibly turning them into apartment and rental units.I said something needs to be done because of the affect it is having on the borough but school district as well.
Councilmen Jim Smith also spoke about the issue.
The problem will be discussed later this month at various committee meetings.
* The possibility of having an emergency drill in light of the recent weather conditions.
* Why the speed limit goes from 25 to 15 on Barber Street.
Was told this was the late4st in speed enforcement in the area.
* When the street trees and lights will be replaced downtown.
Was told possibly in October. This week will mark the third year there were no trees for the car show and craft show.
* The lack of people doing construction around town without building permits.
Was told to call if I see this.
* A coordinated effort to get people to go from the Turkey Hill Experience to downtown and vice versa.
Was told this needs to be put on the front burner.
Again, I want to represent our town and promise to work hard if I get the chance.

No comments: