Sunday, November 13, 2011

What I've learned and what I want to do

Well, its been an interesting week to say the least. From getting out to the polls, waiting for the results, accepting congratulations through e-mail, Facebook and in person, I'm still very humbled and wanting to thank those who voted for me and tell everyone how honored I am to represent our great town for the next four years

As I have promised, I will work in the best interests of all 10,300 people of our fine town and work hard to improve this town. I know there are plenty of issues expressed to me during the campaign, with two of the biggest being code enforcement and parking.

Going back a step, one of the most surprising phone calls I got since Tuesday was yesterday from County Commissioner Craig Lehman. I was very surprised and had a nice talk about with the commissioner.

So what have I learned this week. There is a lot of work to do. I also learned that a local businessman wants an ordinance governing Pawn Shops that have popped up in the borough. His business was ripped off, he said, by one of those Pawn Shops and hopefully that, the theft can be settled through the legal system. I did read somewhere that Pawn Shops were discussed at the committee level.

Also learned there was a meeting at Our Lady of the Angels School held last week to discuss plans to go from two school buildings – the former St. Peter's and Holy Trinity, down to one building, at the Holy Trinity building. Costs and a decline in enrollment are factors. Here's something for those involved, which was brought to my attention yesterday. Since it looks like the St. Peter's building might be the one vacant, why not donate it to the Community Life Network, so there could be a year round shelter for the homeless, which appears to be a growing problem in our town.

Other than that, I have talked with a number of people, setting up meetings, with elected leaders and others, to discuss what has been done, can be done and will be done. I got plenty of questions too and ideas, which I will keep everyone updated on through COLUMBIA TALK.

Feel free to talk to me anytime, give me your suggestions and ideas. Get into the habit of attending meetings and becoming involved.

One thing I will ask, in addition to asking questions, give me and the council some solutions of how to address different issues. It's the only way I know how we can improve things in Columbia.

Again, thanks for your vote and I will work hard for you.

No comments: