Thursday, March 18, 2010

Meet Columbia's new football coach

Michael Burke remembers the first time he coached football and the passion Columbia has for its athletic programs.


That was back after he graduated from Columbia High School in 1989.

“I started coaching a midget team right out of high school. We had a lot of success too. I modeled my program after my dad’s (Mike Burke II, who coached Columbia football from 1985 through 2004) at the high school level. That was a lot of fun watching eight and nine-year-olds run a no huddle offense and be so well prepared at such a young age,” Burke said Thursday afternoon.

And then there is the passion of the Columbia fans.

“When I was in high school I was lucky enough to be on a state championship, L-L League Championship, section championships in football and basketball and a District Three runner-up team in both sports,” Burke said.

“The town treated us like royalty. Every one wanted to talk to you, the youth teams wanted to be close to you and the junior high teams idolized the varsity squad. After coming back from a few years off I noticed the lack of admiration from junior high to the varsity. That is something we need to get back for our program,” Burke said.

So now, the 20-year veteran of coaching from the midget to the junior high level to the varsity level, takes the responsibility of turning around the Columbia football program, which went 0-10 last season and had its first winless season since 1958.

Michel Burke III was approved by the Columbia School Board as the new football coach at the high school at its meeting Thursday, replacing Jason Shoff.

So after the start with the midget program, MBIII continued the climb up the coaching ladder or tree at Columbia High School.

“I moved up to the junior high and assisted my Uncle Steve Burke for a several years. We did the scouting for the varsity and that is where the x’s and o’s just really intrigued me. Watching how film study changed game plans and why knowing your opponent was so important,” Burke III, said.

He then became the high junior high coach for a number of years before moving up to the varsity program as defensive coordinator.

“I have had the opportunity to be exposed to football at every level and to coach/teach athletes at every level,” Burke III said. “In high school, my Dad had coaches meetings that were held in our dining room on Sunday mornings so I know what goes into a successful program,” the new coach said.

And he’s the head coach of the Columbia football program now, because...

“Ten years ago Notre Dame couldn’t have pulled me away from Columbia. I had always thought from the time I got involved in coaching I was going to run the football program at some point. I had visions of continuing the success of the program (section titles, district playoffs) and even turning Columbia into a Berwick, Manheim Central or a Southern Columbia and hoping to make a annual appearance in the state playoffs like those teams,” Burke III said.

“ Then some good things happened for me professionally at work and the time I had to devote to the program became a issue. I had to step away for a brief time. I would love to be a full-time football coach, most of us who do coach would love that. I love the game and I love the game planning that is involved. There is nothing like Friday Nights under those lights,” he said.

Now as head coach, the Tide might take a step back in time.

When Michael Burke III played, his dad, Mike Burke II, was his coach and later he coached with his dad. Now, Michael Burke III has the opportunity to coach his son, Michael IV and stepson, Nick Williams. And it will be a lot different between the father, son and stepson, this time.

“I am different than my son. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and always have. So my Dad and I butted heads because of my emotion and his emotion. We were and are just both very competitive in everything. IV is a little calmer, it takes him a little longer to get 0 – 60 miles-an-hour,” Burke III said.

“I come at him differently than my dad came at me,” Burke III said.

“With my dad. I can remember playing at Hersheypark Arena in a District Championship with 5,000 people there and I could distinctly hear his instructions coming out on the floor to me and driving me crazy! Michael IV is much different when I give him instructions,” the coach said.

“He doesn’t like to be talked to before, during and after practice. So I make my point and let it go, he knows my expectations, if I have to say it again it isn’t as “educational” as the first time. Nick, my stepson is just coming into this year with a great attitude and he knows he is going to have it tough on him too. They both know that during supper I am going to telling them things they need to hear and should hear,” Burke III said.

“My wife Laurie does a exceptional job keeping our household together when the boys and I are disagreeing. I know it is difficult to have your father as your coach but I think I have to treat Michael and Nick as any other player and know when to knock them down and also know when to pick them up. I learned a long time ago, you have to know who you can press and who you need to back off and when,” Burke III said.

As for his dad, the Hall of Fame Coach at both Columbia and Millersville, that too will be different.

“We have already had meetings on personnel, formations, verbiage, ideas and goals. I am excited to do this with him and the rest of our staff. It will be difficult at times, but, we both know where that line begins and ends. There has been disagreements when I was his Defensive Coordinator,” Burke III said.

“It isn’t about Michael or Mike Burke. It is about Columbia Football and the pride that we both feel for the school and town. We have both been successful in athletics and he has had an amazing coaching career. I feel very lucky that he is coming aboard to help us,” Burke III said.

After sitting out for five years after the elder Burke retired as Columbia’s head coach, Mike Burke spent a year as offensive coordinator at Hempfield, but spent last season pacing the fences around the football field at Columbia and other places in Section 3, watching his son coach and his grandson play.

“He just didn’t look right in black and red while at Hempfield,” the younger Burke said.

He’s been holding informal workouts with the program for more than a month.

“We have some ideas for revitalizing the football team, town and school and the involvement of all three with each other. I am hoping to be involved with the midget program teaching them how to run a program and letting them know our coaches will be available for X’s & O’s,” Burke III said.

“We also hope to bring back some traditions that were in place when Jack Yohe was coach,” he said.

The new coach will hold his first official meeting with the team tomorrow.

“They know what our staff stands for. We won’t accept a mediocre effort. They also know we can have success this year if they buy in to our vision and structure. We want them to be successful. So leave the i-pods and cell phones at home or in the locker, dress like an athlete and work like an athlete,” Burke III said.

“I ran my own program at the junior high level. I learned so much in those years. It is a great training ground for young coaches that want to coach at the varsity level. I made some mistakes but learned from them pretty quick,” Burke III said.

“Running the varsity program is going to be different. There isn’t anyone with higher expectations for this team than me. I have surrounded myself with the best people I can all the way down to our equipment manager. There seems to be some “electricity” back and that is good. I only want positive people surrounding our program. This group needs to know they can win. They have to expect it,” Burke III said.

“There is so much outside influences for our student athletes today it can be overwhelming. I want to be a positive for them, I want our program to be a positive for them. But I do feel the pressure to succeed right away. Most of the staff has had much success playing and coaching. I told the team already, ‘Hate to lose more than you Love to win,’” Burke III said.

Right now the new staff also include Burke’s brother, Tom, along with Justin Steiner, Mike Graybill, his cousin James Burke, Ryan Strickler and Brett Frey, all former players.






18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us which sports program @ CHS this year had the best won/loss record?

Anonymous said...

a good bit of quotations in this article, can you elaborate on the new coaches college experiences, what college do he attend, play for and does he have any experience coaching outside the "Columbia system?

Anonymous said...

They still won't beat Catholic.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they won't beat Catholic, most teams don't but that won't take away from the fact that the kids have a new outlook on their year and for this one ought to be respectful and allow the kids to give it their best shot. Afterall, how much of a challenge was it to beat Columbia the past few years? Seems to me a win means more when its been a hard fight instead of a blowout!

Anonymous said...

Catholic vs Columbia was and should be a classic confrontation! My only hope is the Catholics in columbia go to LCHS!!

Columbia Talk said...

Okay, we are not going to turn this into PennLive.

Anonymous said...

why do all catholic supporters think us Columbians are all scum?

Anonymous said...

Who runs this blog and how do you get ansewrs, question below was posted lasted week, can you provide an answer?


a good bit of quotations in this article, can you elaborate on the new coaches college experiences, what college do he attend, play for and does he have any experience coaching outside the "Columbia system?

Anonymous said...

the new coach did not attend college or ever coach at the college level. His coaching career has solely taken place in the "columbia system" as you say. He has has much sucess in that system, as defensive coordinator in the early 2000s, his defense was the top defense in the entire LL League.

Anonymous said...

He attended a trade school and has a very good reputation at work, with the school and kids. A college degree does not necessarily make a good employee at any profession. It takes a special person to coach at a school like Columbia. So, let's wait and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Yes, let's wait and see what happens!

Anonymous said...

The poster asking the questions seems like he might be a former coach in the system, who feels like he doesn't understand why he no longer has the job and is trying to find people to drive a wedge between the players and the new coach, who will bring the PRIDE and DISCIPLINE back to the program that has been so lacking!

Anonymous said...

This was a sensitive issue apparently. You have to have some faith in the administration that they chose the right candidate because only they were privy to the resumes and credentials. Maybe Burke has what it takes to gain the respect from the players that the previous coaching staff didn't. No one knows really what happened except those directly involved and even that is subjective based on your role in the organization. I am sure the previous coach gave his best attempt but maybe the chemistry just wasn't there. One thing is for sure, kids are different everywhere nowadays and to get respect you must give it. You must meet kids at the level they are at and teach them to expect the best from themselves, not to settle for less. That being said, you cannot expect to be your players' friend and think he will respect you back. Let's get this post off and move on and as someone said above, let's wait and see. This isn't an issue of Burke vs. Shoff, let's not make it one. All should be on the same page that the goal is to get the program back on its feet, no matter who is coaching, past or present. Good luck to all involved!

Anonymous said...

why does it take a special person to coach at a school like Columbia? Is Columbia so out of step with other districts or do it's citizens still believe and have "Columbia against the world mentality" which is holding your school district back in many categories, ie, declining scholastic success, exceptionally poor performance in a one time respected athletic program, etc.
You need to take a look at the latest statictics on performances mentioned, perhaps a merger with another school district is needed. And how do you define a special person?

Anonymous said...

I think what the previous writer may be saying is that a person that takes over this program may need to be someone that already knows the program and its kids versus someone from the outside because the team has struggled for so long, an outsider wouldn't know how to deal with the frustrations the kids have had. Columbia itself isn't the one that makes the rest of the county think it needs a helping hand, its those that have formulated opinions based on fictitious rumors instead of facts. No one here I know of thinks we have gotten a bad rap other than the fact the name and its history precede it and causes others to think its something its not. It has become a transient community and by virtue of this, the kids are different, they have no real ties to the area which results in no pride. Its landlocked which means we have no big business able to move into town to relieve the tax burdens found here. Its a nice little town with a lot of history. You do not get mugged walking down the street...everything starts at home as far as education and what is being seen here WILL trickle to other communities and schools, it already is being seen. Isn't it funny that when something bad happens in town, the newspaper reports it yet when it happens in Hempfield or Township, it seems less important? That's not feeling the like the world is against us, its fact. Columbia has many good athletes but the numbers are low. The administration needs to take a look at what keeps kids in school. Academics by far are the most important element of school but some kids in Columbia have nothing to go home to so athletics becomes their second home. Athletics keeps kids in school sometimes not the other way around so it needs to be important. This is all some kids have to look forward to. A special person is someone that can relate to kids, recognize the type of kids in a particular area based on socioeconomic status and foster their talents, be aware of the challenges our community has and act accordingly and a special person needs to know how to behave and to set good examples. If Burke can foster his kids talents and make them realize a lot of them have more ability than they ever thought possible both on the field and off the field and even if they only win one game, he has been successful.

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK MIKE THE BOYS FROM E-TOWN ARE PULLING FOR YOU

Anonymous said...

As a coach at Conestoga Valley, I like what Mike is saying, and with his dad on board-I'm looking forward to watching them on film. They'll get things going there again...give them time to get the kids to buy into what they're doing and they'll have great success...and as for you people who say they'll still lose to Catholic..well if they do lose to them, a 9-1 record is still darn good isn't it? And I know it'll get them into the playoffs. Go get 'em Mike-YOUR town deserves this!

Anonymous said...

Hey Back in '95 when we won districts we were only 7-3 and beat some pretty steep competition in the Playoffs. I am confident Burke III with the help of Burke II will get the job done! "Pride Makes a Difference"