Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday's thoughts

Here are some "sweeping" Friday thoughts for today.

* Early this morning, I received a text about street sweeping in Columbia and how it apparently isn't running its normal run, except for the downtown area.
Here's what I know. In trying to restructure financial concerns, cut down on the wear and tear on the sweeper, borough council had discussed changes in the way the sweeper is used. The plan was to continue to sweep downtown (Locust Street and side streets) every day and the remainder of the town, perhaps once or twice a month.
I am not sure that was ever adopted by borough council, or, if it was, never really announced.
So, here are some thoughts...
Since this might be the new schedule and it might sound like the borough is trying to hide the change, yes they are and no they are not. Here's why. Look at the signs that are erected on the light poles, etc. Some may say street sweeping but more likely they say "street maintenance."
So, technically they can give those who don't move their vehicle according to the signs, they can still ticket.
I know it is a "low blow" and hopefully this will never happen. What I think they are trying to do, from what I've seen in my area,is continue with the schedule that is posted, but alternate weeks, so people really don't know when the sweeper is coming.
Again, is it right? No. But the signs are there. Yes, it would be nice to know what the exact schedule it, but again, the signs say....
 * Earlier this week after the council meeting, I posted about "one of those things they don't want you to know" concerning traffic or meter enforcement.
Well, here is another. Since the first change in parking enforcement earlier this year by the retirement of longtime parking enforcement officer Linda Colin, there have been a lot of tickets written because those downtown had gotten use to Colin's schedule.
Now with the new enforcement, it appears that revenue from the $5 tickets being written has risen by about $1,000 in the downtown.
* I will be posting information  over the weekend concerning last night's Columbia School Board meeting. Just haven't had tie to sit down and review everything.

5 comments:

Kerry Glenn said...

Tuesday a week ago, I arrived home at 8 A.M. after a hard night's shift at my job (keep going, working people; millions on welfare are depending on us), and knew I needed to my move 18 - year old daughter's car (she has her Learner's Permit)to the opposite side of the street to keep it clear of the street sweeper soon, but as it has come through for years around 9:30-10:00, I assumed I had time to run my son to school at Taylor and come back and do it. As fate would have it, no sooner was I out of sight - along comes the sweeper, followed in a Boro vehicle by one of the absolute finest Boro employees, whom shall remain nameless (think of a type of pheasant). My daughter ran outside in time to see the sweeper swinging around her car, and just in time to encounter the "Boro employee" stopping to ticket her car. She held up the key to the car for him to examine, and informed him that she could not legally move the car as she did not have a licensed driver to accompany such a move - a honorable and correct decision on her part, and for which I as her parent am VERY proud of her for abiding by the law. Nonetheless, the chinless Boro employee proceeded to ticket her car, while muttering some lame rationale in his chirpy, high-pitched rodent voice. Hopefully this gave him something to boast about later while he was lounging in the Turkey Hill store or holding Court for his legions of admirers in front of Stover's - all on Boro-paid time, of course. I made a beeline to the Boro Hall and paid the ticket immediately by check, and now that the check has cleared my Bank - the fun begins. I, as a taxpayer, recommend this employee henceforth be forbidden from driving a Boro-owned vehicle to follow the street sweeper - let's purchase him an environmentally-friendly Segway to use instead. A bicycle would suffice as well. Just for openers, mind you.

Anonymous said...

Point well taken Kerry!

Anonymous said...

I say he should walk behind the sweeper!

Anonymous said...

Better yet in front!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!!