Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Softball coach cites family

It was a record setting year for the Columbia girls' softball team in 2010.
They had their first winning season, qualified for the district playoffs for the first time in school history and won a playoff game.
The architect of the success was first-year coach Brad Brubaker.
Brubaker stunned his team last night when he announced he was leaving the program after one season to become head coach at Section 4 rival Lancaster Mennonite. He told CHS Athletic Director Jim Rhoads on Monday. Brubaker told his team after a summer league game ar Garrett Park in Willow Street.
"I was presented with a situation that I felt I needed to act on as a father. Dean Weiant, Lancaster Mennonite's coach for the past four years was left go about three weeks ago. My daughter Madison, who is heading into her sophomore year, plays at LMH. They have been terrible. They were the only team not to win at least one game in 2010 and have lost 19 straight dating back two years," Brubaker said this morning.

"To the point, Madison asked me to help them get better. As a father I need to place her interests at the top of my priority list and do everything I can to help. So I accepted the position as head coach at LMH," Brubaker said.
Assistant coaches Pinky Geraci and Ali Merrifield will join him at LMH.
"It has been my privilege to have coached at Columbia. If I had seen this coming I would never have come to Columbia for just one year. I take with me many great memories from a season where the girls accomplished so much. I urge them to continue with their dedication to the game and pursue the Section 4 championship in 2011 with all their effort," the coach said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really is a shame to let the girls down. They idolize those coaches and to have them all go is truly a shame.....broken hearts galore. Let's just hope they don't hire some nitwit to screw things up. The girls have talent and finally had someone to bring it all together. Lets come together and find someone else to do that. Keep your heads up girls and continue to play hard. The coaches gave you the tools, continue to use them and work to get better...you can do it!!! KEEP BEN MAY IN THERE!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am a parent of one of the players on the team and I am very sad to see Brad Brubaker leave Columbia. My daughter is completely heartbroken but understands the reason Coach Bru had to take the job at LMH. We are very lucky to have had him for the year we did. He took the Tide to a new level of play. He brought an excellent staff from infield, outfield, pitching and catching. They taught them many things they hadn't learned and polished up the things they already knew. Brad is a brilliant coach and with his help this TALANTED group of young ladies made CHS softball history. The 2010 team was the winningest softball team in CHS history and was the first CHS softball team to make it to districts and even won 1 district game. Without the skills that Brubaker and his staff taught the girls, this may not have been possible. Please remember he may have been a coach but he is a father first. A job is a job but family is family, and I personally would never pick a job over my family no matter what. With that said my family and I wish him well and know he will do good things for the Blazers of LMH but better watch out for the TIDE!!!!