Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday's wisdom

When I wrote for the COLUMBIA LEDGER, one of my duties was writing a weekly editorial giving the paper's thoughts on what is going on in the community. Sometimes I wrote a weekly editorial column as well, with my views on activities and people.
I've done it from time to time on this venue as well. Lately I feel as though I could do an editorial every day or twice a day because there is so much going on in our town.
So, do I feel that Columbia residents are getting their biggest bang for its buck in terms of how borough is run? No. Does it have to change? Yes. Will it change? I hope so.
I, like others are not keen on how our council meetings are being run. I know there are council members who feel the same way, but, they are in the minority when it comes to make change. We have some "dead weight" on council and perhaps in the best interest of our borough, they should resign but they won't. I think the council members who want to make changes need to speak up.
When I got home last night, I had word on the resignation of Brian Long as market manager and Brad Brubaker as Columbia softball coach.
What I was told about Long's resignation  is most likely being discussed tonight at council's personnel committee meeting. What I don't like is how it came down and if a council member was behind this, this person overstepped her bounds by not going to management first and is not acting in the best interests of Columbia or council and is still holding a grudge about getting fired from the position.
This is the same person involved with the rumors of a second market opening down town.
Does it sound like this council member is working in the best interests of Columbia? No and this person should either resign or be removed from council by council for this latest action. Will this happen? Probably not. Should it happen? Yes!
As far as the vote on moving the River Park baptism, I knew back in June, this one was going to comeback and haunt council. It did and it shouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to figure out why. It's a shame, this had to happen and probably won't long be forgotten.
And finally, like many I was very apprehensive about if the Turkey Hill Experience would ever become a reality. Today, the process of developing the Turkey Hill Experience started and hopefully will work for the betterment of Columbia.
Yes, it was a big day for our town and I hope between now and the opening of the facility next year, a solid plan, as Bill Roberts said today, is developed to get people from point A to point B. If that doesn't happen, it won't work, but let's give it a try.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You wrote some pretty good editorials at the Columbia Ledger, Barry!!!

Anonymous said...

And you are still doing a good job!!!

Thanks for ALL of your hard work, we appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Barry should run for council

Unknown said...

I AGREE. VOTE FOR BARRY FOR COUNCIL. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, YOU DO A GREAT JOB.

Anonymous said...

thanks barry-you do a heck of a job and we appreciate all you do. maybe you should run for council and/or talk to people and inform them maybe they should run, it's way past time for a change. we need new blood, no one with a special agenda. also someone who will listen to the taxpayers and what we want. the hell with management, they will turn this town into a ghost town within the next few years and even THE won't be able to stop it. CLEAN UP DOWNTOWN-LOOK AT SOME OF THESE RENTAL PROPERTIES ON THE 100-400 BLOCK OF LOCUST STREET-CLEAN EM UP, SHUT EM DOWN. I'm still wondering and no one replied- why in the name of God has the Bank Museum been allowed for the last 10 YEARS at least to keep the doors boarded up on the building. IT HAS TO STOP. GIVE EM 30 OR 60 DAYS. TAKE DOWN THE PLYWOOD AND INSTALL REAL DOORS. this is a sin. we've had to look at this for 10 years. where is code enforcement???????? and across the street up a few doors, look at this hell hole pigsty of a bldg-SHUT IT DOWN. IT CAN NOT COMPLY WITH CODES